• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
S2 Invite Happenings/Discussion
This is the discussion thread for the RGL HL Season 1 Invite division.

Congratulations to the Season 1 champions, IRENE!

RGL HL S2 Invite Standings
Recent Player Transactions (sort by div)
i win
double round robin was bad
hello! dont add me for forum issues, use PM instead
(12-04-2018, 02:54 AM)rain Wrote: double round robin was bad

Why's that?
(12-04-2018, 04:00 AM)zuchima Wrote:
(12-04-2018, 02:54 AM)rain Wrote: double round robin was bad

Why's that?

Season was too long

The map system forcing people to play the same maps over and over again exacerbated how long the season felt

Fast Forward played:
Product twice
Swiftwater twice
Steel twice
Ashville twice
Upward once
Warmtic once (forfeited match)

Both these problems are being fixed in the upcoming season but I think double round robin could work as it works in esea invite. Esea does their map bans better though, as froyotech played 8/9 of the maps in the pool (not granary).

I'm probably the biggest opposer of the map veto system so take my words with a grain of salt
duck.lae
"duck everyone with any skill that has played with u despises u" -spu
AD played almost every map during the season. It solely depends on what you ban or not. Personally I enjoyed the double round I got to play every team on both koth and pl. what I didn’t like was the set three maps and you can only pick maps that both teams shared. I feel in invite you should be able to play every map in playoffs and if you didn’t play it in the regular season then that’s the risk you are taking.
I will always be a pyro main <3
(12-04-2018, 12:34 PM)Arzt Hispanian Wrote: AD played almost every map during the season. It solely depends on what you ban or not. Personally I enjoyed the double round I got to play every team on both koth and pl. what I didn’t like was the set three maps and you can only pick maps that both teams shared. I feel in invite you should be able to play every map in playoffs and if you didn’t play it in the regular season then that’s the risk you are taking.

The shared maps in playoffs (from my understanding) is to prevent teams from forcing teams to play maps that they haven't played during the regular season. Granted, every team should be able to play every map in the map pool, but this is just something that Dimento came up with during the S1 structure planning and we agreed with. We tried it and if people didn't like it, we can scrap it (which we are) and try something different for Season 2. Smile
I can see the point of sharing maps, but if you are playing in the top division imo you should know every map and it forces teams to play other maps during the regular season
(12-04-2018, 04:00 AM)zuchima Wrote: Why's that?

the regular season felt very long, it works in esea because its still an 8 week regular season since esea has 2 matches a week
hello! dont add me for forum issues, use PM instead
Last thing: S2 details are on the process of being finalized (should have it out early this week). All divisions will have a 7-week regular season and 3-week playoffs.
I personally did not like how long the season was, or the playoff structure with placement and pickbans.
The dynasty continues, the future is 6lack...

On another note, I vote to keep the pick/ban system as well as keep matches on Monday but allow for rescheduling if necessary. Tuesdays are inconvenient for my whole team essentially.
sup vros
AD is coming back next season to give everyone the foot

also my econ brain is very against the idea of a paid playoffs rather than paid entry in general, it seems kind of distracting and demotivating to implement a paywall midway through the season, especially when the planned alternative is just to have the 5th seed play if a better team doesn't pay up in time

im excited for 8 teams tho, gives more leeway in case a goober team like mine dies again
Diet Coke knd coming to Invite next season.

Back to the point of season length I agree the double round robin was too long and I think a forced map schedule should be implemented in some way for variance. But I really liked the playoffs, every team really tried within regular season to get the good seeding.
Now that the league is looking to implement 8 teams into each division I think a single round robin would work well and would keep the season long enough.
(12-05-2018, 01:35 AM)Wallerino Wrote: also my econ brain is very against the idea of a paid playoffs rather than paid entry in general, it seems kind of distracting and demotivating to implement a paywall midway through the season, especially when the planned alternative is just to have the 5th seed play if a better team doesn't pay up in time

Paying for Highlander to help fund a prize pool for the season is tricky, because it is something that has (as far as I am aware) never been done in this format before. If all 8 Invite teams want to pay for the regular season, it would definitely help, but there is still definitely stigma behind a paywall. This approach that we have currently basically only affects the top 4 placing teams that want to compete for the prize pool.

(12-05-2018, 01:58 AM)zuchima Wrote: Back to the point of season length I agree the double round robin was too long and I think a forced map schedule should be implemented  in some way for variance. But I really liked the playoffs, every team really tried within regular season to get the good seeding.
Now that the league is looking to implement 8 teams into each division I think a single round robin would work well and would keep the season long enough.

We are likely sticking with a forced default map every week for every division. Based on feedback from the Experimental HL Cup and potentially polls, we will figure out the set maps for each week.

Also, please let me know on what everyone thinks about this from the article & registration page:

Quote:It should be noted that we are thinking about moving the default match day for Invite matches to Tuesday or Sunday at 9:30 PM EST. This has large benefits for our production, since we will be able to get much more high leveled casters and viewership if players can watch the match on an off-day. Other teams will still be able to reschedule to Monday to play their match.

*A final decision for default day has not been made. No matter the default date, teams can always reschedule to a different day (including monday.) Our goal is to have Invite on a seperate day to allow it to be more visible to the other players.
Moving the match day is a horrible idea, so many people have built their schedules around having Mondays open.

If anything production should come second when it comes to moving days like that. Both teams could agree beforehand if all mains could make it to move days. Id much rather have a lower quality production with a good match than vice versa.
Wait Exa, you are not seriously thinking of playing these maps for next season, right?
(12-05-2018, 11:53 AM)Arzt Hispanian Wrote: Wait Exa, you are not seriously thinking of playing these maps for next season, right?

If you are talking about the cup, they will be only be seriously considered if feedback is overwhelmingly positive. Otherwise, we will just stick with the adv/main/IM/open map pool from last season, which is just the standard maps that everyone has played. The only maps that are confirmed for S2 right now are Product, Upward, and Steel.

Basically, Millstone got a new update last weekend and has an active map developer that wants to continue to make changes to the pro version. Synthetic is a new competitive KotH map that has been mainly tested for 6s and plays very uniquely in Highlander. If feedback for these maps is very positive and people want to see these maps, we can consider rotating out some of the maps.