Would you like to see this update become a reality in RGL.gg someday?
Yes, ashville needs this!
79.31%
No, this map sucks dude.
20.69%
58 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
KotH_Ashville_rc2b; Spring Refresh
Star 
[Image: r6Nm97N.png]

DISCLAIMER: THIS ENTIRE POST IS NOT SPONSORED BY RGL.gg AS A WHOLE. THE CONTINUOUS CLEANUP OF ASHVILLE WAS ALL DONE UNDER FREE-TIME. THE COMMUNITY WILL TAKE RESPONSIBILITY VOTING FOR THIS INTO A FUTURE SEASON, WHILE GIVING ME FEEDBACK. THIS MAP IS NOT AN APPROVED IDEA FOR SEASON 5; IT IS A VERSION CREATED TO BE CONCURRENT WITH MAP STANDARDS IN 2020.

Hello all at RGL.gg today! After reading a few threads in the "Map Discussion" sub-forum for the past week and seeing complaints about maps like lakeside having atrocious clipping, packaged with maps like cascade having low FPS averages' for people, I took it upon myself with a few other people to optimize this 7 year old bad boy. Starting a graphical redesign, I was able to restore "Ashville", and further transmogrify it to new heights.

Starting off with a bang, "Ashville" has been played for many years in Highlander as a whole, starting in 2012. Designed by Kevin "Mackey" Mackey, "Ashville" was originally made for 5cp, but later turned into a KotH map which has seen many seasons in UGC and RGL together under the alias "koth_ashville_rc1". The map has not seen an update until January of the year 2020, when a survey for RGL.gg took place after an invite referendum regarding the "mini-sentry in shutter" sparked a debate about cheapness  of sentries and annoying area-denial. What occurred next was as we call it, putting the spotlight on the nefarious wrangler and hellish shutter. The community-driven update (koth_ashville_rc1_nb7), developed by Stephanie and RJ to remove the minisentry in shutter, is available at RGL.gg for download as it will be used in RGL's season 5 of Highlander.

Moving on from that lengthy introduction, this post is here to advertise Ashville II, the main highlight of this thread! This version is the graphically-beefed up redesign of the map, taking notes from other maps, such as Product to have more foliage and greenery which showcases an abandoned state after 7+ years of usage. The map has increased detailing to better cover up the map, fill in the empty spaces and actually feel like two factories at war. The lighting system, brushwork, area-portal rendering and majority of clipping issues with "koth_ashville_rc1" are optimized as close as possible to the full potential of the Source engine. There were hidden leaks in the map that would eat frames and cause rare crashes, but they are patched now.

Ashville II is packaged with many rendering improvements to utilize the full power of the Source engine, allowing for higher fps averages' across the board. Lighting, brushwork, area-portals and many other little mapping oddities have been re-shifted and changed up under the hood to allow for better game-play and less engine quirks to occur. One such area of frustration now pointed out in a good amount of Highlander maps are various clipping issues that stop roll-outs from the soldier and nullify splash damage; The stairs on battlements, both leading to shutter and from rollout have been patched to stop splash nullification and allow ramp sliding. The stairs leading to ramp and ramp itself should now properly allow sliding from momentum.

As a benefit towards load-times, the once missing cube-maps and v-physics for the map are correctly implemented now. The optimal loading times are shaved to 7 seconds for Ashville II (16 seconds originally or more). A famous texture tool used to increase frames, "nodraw" was implemented across varying buildings to help stabilize rendering, along with additions of area-portals and hints to stop too many models from rendering. Examples of optimization have been shown with brushes and model rendering inside my hyperlink "rc1 vs rc2" at the bottom of this post

Ashville II  introduces a couple game-play changes that shouldn't affect the meta too much, along with the numerous clipping fixes. The small ammo kit on toxic/barrels is now a medium kit, intended to help out engineer and pyro classes reset their metal/ammo more comfortably. Another game-play change, although small, was the addition of splash damage properly registering in "under-point" and "red/blu lobbies" to help soldiers have proper splash damage registration. This map is also available to pug if more changes are warranted.

At the bottom of my post are change notes for people to read. Do not skim over this; you may ask questions if you have any by contacting me. My discord tag has been provided and you can add me on steam, in regards to why "Ashville" has been changed. Images for rc2 are provided, and so are optimization examples. The map download is there for pug runners and people to look at. I WILL UPDATE THIS POST WITH A DATE AND TIME FOR EACH MAP RELEASE, AS I WILL NOT CHANGE THE MAP'S PREFIX. THIS MEANS THAT PEOPLE  MUST DELETE THE MAP IN tf/downloads/maps EVERY-TIME AN UPDATE OCCURS. MAKE SURE TO DELETE THE OLD MAP VERSION IN YOUR FAST-DL AND SERVER.

Special thanks to:
Mackey for creating the original Ashville, and giving us a good map to game on
Rorek, my co-developer who breathed new life into this project and helped with optimizations
rj, for helping out with nobuild in shutter
Tabda, for showing proper clipping and how to fix splash nullification
The various playtesters, who help out with noticing errors & minor bugs
RGL and UGC, for allowing the original Ashville to be in rotation for years

Links & Media for Ashville:
Map Download - 05/29/2020
Map Screenshots - 05/29/2020
SOAPDM CONFIG - 05/29/2020
Change Notes
Wallpaper of Ashville

[Contact me at Hino#3689 on Discord, regarding game-play or bug-fixes]
A second-class Chinese legend who doesn't know when to give it his all.
https://www.twitch.tv/hinogc

Moved thread to map discussion.
The one thing I would to like to see is having the no-build area in shutter clearly marked with that black and yellow decal, so its super apparent where they can and cannot be built. The front line is super thick and easy to see, while I would like to see the one in the back also be that size.

[Image: EBc3yby.jpg]

I like the no-minis decal, but I also would like to see the area that is being set to nobuild to have some kind of different texture as well that would make it more sensible to why its no build. something creative and cool looking. like something electrical? Hopefully what I am trying to say makes sense. Just needs something to make it visually make sense without the need of a "you cant build here cus the decal says so" decal.
i like ashville now
fps is very good on this map
also there is a punching bag in spawn which is the best change
If it does what it's intended to do I welcome it. I think Cascade needs fps help first though.
I cannot touch cascade at all until I know exactly if Defcon is still available and alive. Grabbing what we call the .vmf (the mapping file for hammer) by decompiling koth_cascade_rc1a wouldnt be ideal unless Defcon hands the .vmf over, or is willing to fix the map himself.

How far are we going with as far as possible gameplay changes to the map, or are we just going to look at general optimization. I also do agree with Mothership, I would rather see something other than a random decal on the floor to say 'Hey, you can't build here' I would be curious to give this a try going forward
Whenever Pain Seer becomes untapped, reveal the top card of your library and put that card into your hand. You lose life equal to that card's converted mana cost.
I, along with several other people have been talking to hino and testing this map over the past few days, and I can say that even without any significant gameplay changes, this update to ashville would be the most significant QOL update to a map in my entire time playing competitive tf2. FPS is noticeably improved (across the board for all systems from what I've heard,) the dozens of small clipping issues rc1 has have been fixed, and effort was also put in to try to make sure explosives work more consistently.

Full support from me to make the switch to this version of the map as soon as the league allows it.
if its a huge difference i wouldn't mind playing it for s5 if its decided on quickly
Whenever Pain Seer becomes untapped, reveal the top card of your library and put that card into your hand. You lose life equal to that card's converted mana cost.
correct me if im wrong but this ashville is the same as the one we're playing as of this post, except better FPS and there's markers showing where you can't build and the shutter trigger area? seems perfect to me, should be added asap
In regards to your quote spu, its essentially koth_ashville_rc1_nb4 with a ton of fixes for demos and soldier splash damage, along with the medium ammo kit added. The higher FPS counts & higher graphic fidelity are just because ashville_rc1 was so outdated for years and was a mess underneath to clean up, so a little liberty was taken.

A FPS chart can be created with graphic presets used to detail how much of an improvement rc2 has.

+1 for the punching bag at spawn and the fans actually spinning on batts

Overall, I am interested to see how the addition of the metal ammo pack and fix for rockets and stickies explosions plays out.
I understand the point is to make the map look abandoned, but I'd keep the foliage only to the corners around like boxes and the houses. the arid grays and tans are what make visibility so easy in almost every competitive map and is why even maps with heavy greens maintain their grass as mainly just textures or very short
also this trap would be very good https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/6...2301_1.jpg
can we put this in the hl pool before the season starts pls
It'd be nice.
An update has been released for koth_ashville_rc2_nb (02/04/2020). Thanks to the puggers at RGL.gg and people in this thread for giving feedback!

Change Notes for Ashville_rc2_nb (version 02/04/2020):
- Fixed an issue with the ramp on blue not properly allowing momentum to register, stopping soldiers and demos from ramp-sliding.
- Fixed an issue where on each building's respective sign (Red Iron & Blu Blast Complex) could allow you to stand on them and spam projectiles from above.
- Tripled the size of the caution stripe in Shutter's rear end to be the size of the front caution stripe. Now its easier on the eyes to see where the nobuild zone is.
- Added various  "nodraw" textures to the rest of the buildings requiring them. FPS averages' should be higher across the board even more.
- Fixed major bug with projectiles on Fans & battlements, where you could hide stickies and shoot rockets, damaging players unfairly.
- Installed new glass texture under the Metal Grate on Battlements, due to a graphic bug with metal. Now it is easier to see below and from above.
- Increased visibility of the midpoint, removing some foliage and grass and removing all the grass at each toxic/barrels. Now snipers are easier to spot out.

Disclaimer: GO TO TF/DOWNLOAD/MAPS IF YOU DOWNLOADED A EARLIER VERSION AND DELETE THAT VERSION. REMOVE THE OLDER VERSION FROM YOUR CORE
FTP IF YOU HOST A SERVER!

(02-04-2020, 01:28 PM)Hino Wrote: - Installed new glass texture under the Metal Grate on Battlements, due to a graphic bug with metal. Now it is easier to see below and from above.

Don't you play spy?! Why would you doom us!!!
To make the map prettier. Wink
A Major Update has been released for koth_ashville_rc2_nb (02/06/2020). I would like to thank Fallen Gourd & Alto for the feedback with some of the issues patched!

Change Notes for koth_ashville_rc2_nb (02/06/2020):
- Adjusted the crates on point to buff heavy face-glitch during pushes.
- Fixed a 7yr+ creak sightline on midpoint crates which opened for cheeky picks.
- Fixed displacement on red ramp not being mirrored like blue ramp, which was biased towards blue to crouch more easily.
- Fixed caution stripes not showing for everyone because of config presets. Now people can see where not to build.
- Fixed visual leaks hidden across the map to save fps.
- Edited blu and red spawn lighting to look in place with the rest of the map, along with some pipefix.
- Adjusted metal sheets on ramp and battlements to function better with the environment.
- Added some new decals across the map to fill in space, and installed new team colored glass on battlements, spawn, and underpoint.
- Removed the hologram on point and removed a sightline from battlements (the crates).
- Mirrored each team's spawn ceiling correctly this time. Soldier and Demos can now freely launch themselves.
- Adjusted & improved clipping across various points in the map.

Disclaimer: GO TO TF/DOWNLOAD/MAPS IF YOU DOWNLOADED A EARLIER VERSION AND DELETE THAT VERSION. REMOVE THE OLDER VERSION FROM YOUR CORE
FTP IF YOU HOST A SERVER!
Map Screenshots and Optimization Screenshots are updated also.