• 7 Vote(s) - 2.86 Average
question to players in advanced and below
why are inhouse pug groups a thing when hlpugs literally has 3 servers so more than 1 pug can happen at once?
edit: god damn dis muffuka got big as hell we out here breaking records too https://imgur.com/a/YQCABbs and it brought gabe from the grave O_o
they all say that no1 below "invite level" or, no1 from the captains friend groups get picked so they just make inhouse groups where literally the same shit happens just with worse players
i mean yea the players that dont get picked in hlpugs want to have pugs where they can play
pretty simple
(12-23-2018, 03:46 PM)saturation Wrote: i mean yea the players that dont get picked in hlpugs want to have pugs where they can play
pretty simple

https://gyazo.com/f063262c1998d6028a086e2fcafbf27a
this is a common sight to see
at least in my experience, burger pugs (the inhouse pugs you're referring to) are chiller, the amount of angry gamers is far less there than on something like hlpugs

i've mentioned this before to people asking why we don't just add up to hlpugs, and the response was "just grow some balls lol", which I think misses the point. for me personally, if I'm gonna pug any game, especially highlander, im not going to want to take it super seriously, and while I can handle angry gamers, I would rather not be yelled at by people I barely know because I'm not playing up to their standards.

other people may have different reasons but those are my reasons i guess
hh brother
(12-23-2018, 03:54 PM)asher Wrote: stuff..

idk if youve played hlpugs recently but most of the time a pug starts its rarely a sweat pug ,(unless bowl or wish add to their mains in my experience), and if all the people that goto these other pug groups add^ there will be a sweat pug (with mostly high level players in it because captains would want to win) and a 2nd pug (with the people who didnt get picked the first time).
I tried hlpugs once, sat through 2 pugs waitings to be picked added up on med and never got picked. The captains who had added up to other classes went med after picking was done.

That leaves a sour taste and first impressions are everything. I'd rather not waste my time waiting for a pug that I won't be able to play in.

Other pugs that have a priority channel or a chance to be picked next go around are much more fair and in my opinion hlpugs isn't worth the time to check again.
I don't get picked in Invite pugs and players Advanced and below don't add up so I don't bother. A big part of it to me is Captain ELO, which adds a systematic reason to only ever pick the best players and try to win. I have no desire to win in pugs, just to play, so it pisses me off when the one time I captain in HLPugs players immediately start screeching to kill the pug because the picks weren't to their liking. Then someone pretty transparently claims they "have to go" and to sub them out. Right.

Sorry, I don't play in that environment.
I play in both and I enjoy them both as well. In-house pugs have always been a part of TF2 though and I don't see them going anyway anytime soon.
(12-23-2018, 05:21 PM)Greensleeves.and.Gold #Frybutt Wrote: I tried hlpugs once, sat through 2 pugs waitings to be picked added up on med and never got picked. The captains who had added up to other classes went med after picking was done.

That leaves a sour taste and first impressions are everything. I'd rather not waste my time waiting for a pug that I won't be able to play in.

Other pugs that have a priority channel or a chance to be picked next go around are much more fair and in my opinion hlpugs isn't worth the time to check again.

Well the captains probably dont know who you are so theyre going to go with who they know will do what they need to do, so they can win

(12-23-2018, 05:30 PM)Flare Wrote: I don't get picked in Invite pugs and players Advanced and below don't add up so I don't bother. A big part of it to me is Captain ELO, which adds a systematic reason to only ever pick the best players and try to win. I have no desire to win in pugs, just to play, so it pisses me off when the one time I captain in HLPugs players immediately start screeching to kill the pug because the picks weren't to their liking. Then someone pretty transparently claims they "have to go" and to sub them out. Right.

this wouldnt be a problem if more advanced and below players added up lol

(12-23-2018, 05:34 PM)SpotlightR Wrote: I play in both and I enjoy them both as well. In-house pugs have always been a part of TF2 though and I don't see them going anyway anytime soon.

Just seems kinda dumb to have a inhouse pug group when theres a site made for pugs to automatically start (without a host), thats supposed to be for EVERYONE in HL (itd make more sense if there was a pug group because 3 pugs were full and theres no server to meet the supply of players but theres not)
Players that participate in any other pug group other than a website that was in development for several months are the only reason to the issue that there are not multiple pugs ongoing. If you do not get picked in the primary pug, the remainder of the players hold the capability to start a secondary pug due to the fact that 3 servers are provided by na.hlpugs.tf. If you do not like the players in a pug, you again possess the capability to mute/block them.
I keep on getting fatkidded so there needs to be anti fat kid rules! If you don't get picked in the pug you should be guaranteed to play in the next one
its a circle where since lower level players dont add up there arent pugs wth lower level players, and since there arent lower level pugs, lower level players dont add up
also while it was branded as a website where players of any level of comp can play, the invite players, at least at first, didnt make it a very welcoming environment to silver and under players. while i still dont fault them for that, as it is annoying to play with players that are far worse than you, and i understand that it might not be like that anymore, it left that impression on many of the players that would otherwise be adding up to hlpugs
the players dont matter if you just use the site to your own advantage. You can easily ask an administrator to give captain. Don’t pick the playrs you dont want to play with and basically have the same players as whatever inhouse you had before.

dont let the regulars stop you from taking advantage of the site, its not that hard to figure it out.
(12-23-2018, 05:57 PM)saturation Wrote: its a circle where since lower level players dont add up there arent pugs wth lower level players, and since there arent lower level pugs

There is no one to blame but yourself and your friends if there are no other players of your similar skill adding up. All of the aforementioned lower level players are all in a different pug group, even though a website was made and developed with more structure and consistency than your 3rd party pug groups. You are the reason there are no secondary pugs.
(12-23-2018, 06:07 PM)Bowl.knd Wrote:
(12-23-2018, 05:57 PM)saturation Wrote: its a circle where since lower level players dont add up there arent pugs wth lower level players, and since there arent lower level pugs

There is no one to blame but yourself and your friends if there are no other players of your similar skill adding up. All of the aforementioned lower level players are all in a different pug group, even though a website was made and developed with more structure and consistency than your 3rd party pug groups. You are the reason there are no secondary pugs.
i actually do play the occasional hl pug, and i would love if more players of my skill level played them, and we got more b pugs. unfortunately that is not the case, so i play burger pugs when they open. if everyone from burger pugs switched over to hlpugs, i think everyone would be better off, but it just doesnt work that way.

(12-23-2018, 05:55 PM)wish Wrote: I keep on getting fatkidded so there needs to be anti fat kid rules! If you don't get picked in the pug you should be guaranteed to play in the next one

im not sure if you are trolling or not but if there was a fatkid rule you would get a lot more players. i just dont want to add up to a pug where there are already 20 players that are better than me, and wait around knowing i wont get picked ever. i would add up much more oftne though if i knew i would at least get to play every other pug
(12-23-2018, 05:44 PM)Nyxi+ Wrote:
(12-23-2018, 05:30 PM)Flare Wrote: I don't get picked in Invite pugs and players Advanced and below don't add up so I don't bother. A big part of it to me is Captain ELO, which adds a systematic reason to only ever pick the best players and try to win. I have no desire to win in pugs, just to play, so it pisses me off when the one time I captain in HLPugs players immediately start screeching to kill the pug because the picks weren't to their liking. Then someone pretty transparently claims they "have to go" and to sub them out. Right.

You miss the point: this would still be a problem even if more players Advanced and below added up. The fact that there's an Invite circlejerk is besides the point, I understand that and I don't fault anyone for it, those circlejerks form in lowers divs anyway. The fundamental issue is that in-house pug groups guarantee pugs start the moment there are enough players, while almost every online pug system I've played in - HLPugs included - do not. Often this happens because there aren't any players willing to play Medic despite there being 21 players around, or the system deciding pugs can't start even if there are multiple players on every class because one class might end up being dry of players depending on how picks go. Maybe all 20 are present and classes are accounted for, but no one wants to captain. Maybe captains are around, but because ELO is being kept and it took an hour for this one pug to start anyway, people get incredibly pissy when they don't get a "good" team and screech to kill and start the pug again, which puts everything back at square one.

By the time all these issues are resolved, you have 28 players added up to pugs and only 18 of them are going to get picked, leaving 10 players in the dust.

Okay, fine, fatkidding is normal in any pug group and I don't really even care about it that much. But others do. So what happens then when an inhouse is announced and 18 fat kids are gathered? If no one wants to captain, the pug host pressures people into volunteering eventually because pugs have to start somehow. Then once the teams are drafted, if no one wants to play Medic, the team captain pressures someone into doing it eventually because pugs have to start somehow. Then the game begins and maybe one of the teams gets heavily outdrafted: no one cares, they didn't have to wait an hour just to play a bad pug, and they can start a fresh one immediately because there's an understanding in the inhouse that all that matters is people show up and play.

Compare this to adding up to HLPugs where wins and losses are tracked and haunt you for the rest of your pug life like a bad hair day, or captain ELO pressuring people to pick a team to win no matter what, or that there is absolutely no system in place to incentivize people into playing something they maybe wouldn't prefer to for one game just so pugs can actually happen. The system is mechanical, impersonal, and the fact that only Invite players bother with it just exacerbates these issues. Inhouses don't give two craps about any of that because all that matters is pugs have to start somehow, and for people like me who only want to play and don't want to bother with pug politics, that is a godsend.

I'm sorry, none of these issues are just magically going to disappear when Advanced and lower players start adding up to HLPugs. The very nature of an automated system encourages a very, very different kind of pug than inhouses do, and nothing is going to change that.
(12-23-2018, 06:32 PM)Flare Wrote:
(12-23-2018, 05:44 PM)Nyxi+ Wrote:

<essay>

theres no circle jerk its just the same people willing to captain the same thing happens in the inhouse pug groups lol- captain elo is hidden so people caring about winning because of their elo isnt a thing, pug wins mean literally nothing so if you let that bother i aint got nothing to say to ya chief, all the stuff you mentioned literally sounds like what-if scenarios. like how things go on now, if 18 or 19 people are added people will start @ing med mains and telling people to med and stuff like that - eventually the pug starts. theres just no logical excuse to why advanced and below players dont use hlpugs other than the fact that "oh it used to be like this!" "back when i got picked in a pug 5 months ago this happened and it was cancer!" or "i havent gotten picked because the captain picked a better and more known player than me!"
(12-23-2018, 06:32 PM)Flare Wrote: You miss the point: this would still be a problem even if more players Advanced and below added up. The fact that there's an Invite circlejerk is besides the point

The fact that >20 players do not use a website dedicated to the same service solely to play with other friends is in itself a circlejerk. Have all of the players playing in 3rd party pug services to play on the dedicated website and your issues will be removed. This issue is only caused by everyone playing 3rd party pug groups.
(12-23-2018, 07:03 PM)Bowl.knd Wrote:
(12-23-2018, 06:32 PM)Flare Wrote: You miss the point: this would still be a problem even if more players Advanced and below added up. The fact that there's an Invite circlejerk is besides the point

The fact that >20 players do not use a website dedicated to the same service solely to play with other friends is in itself a circlejerk. Have all of the players playing in 3rd party pug services to play on the dedicated website and your issues will be removed. This issue is only caused by everyone playing 3rd party pug groups.

I said I don't care about the circlejerks, it's basically just another name for "people like people with certain other people", it's the entire rest of the essay which is the thing I care about.