• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Season 3 Discussion
This thread will be used to discuss how Season 2 went and what team leaders would like for Season 3.

Please note that the below post is a list of suggested changes and is not official yet. This is also not a complete list of everything that will be included in the Season 3 RGL HL league article. Sections were cut out to highlight topics that we want team leaders to discuss about here. Thanks.

Quote:League Format

With Season 3 of RGL Highlander beginning, there are many changes that we wish to change or improve on that were either successful or were not very well received by players in the second season.

Invite

The first of which includes changes to the Invite structure. In the second season, we had a single-round robin structure with 6 teams. Invite also featured a double KotH week (Lakeside and Ashville being played in a single match), with a 5-week regular season and a 2-week wildcard week to compensate for the small number of teams in the division. The issue really stemmed from the wildcard match, where the 6th seed was able to play the 5th seed in a single map that resulted in an elimination. Furthermore, it was argued that the 6th seeded team that has a large gap in match points should not be given a second chance to get into playoffs. In the case with Season 2, a team with zero wins was given a second chance and although they did upset the 5th seed -- this will likely never happen every season (if at all again). The idea of giving the 5th and 4th seeded teams a second chance to try to get into playoffs would continue to make things fresh and anti-climactic, with the possibilities of upsets occurring. Finally, players had difficulty adjusting their schedule to accommodate for the lower bracket matches during playoffs. To remedy this,

• Invite will only feature one wildcard match between #4 and #5 if both teams have less than a difference between one match point.
  • Playoffs will now start on week 7 if we do continue to use the double elimination structure. This would result in all lower bracket matches being played on Monday.

The map pool for Invite was only able to feature seven maps, four that were stopwatch and three that were king of the hill. The double KotH week seemed to be well-received by players for the most part. It was also necessary to have the same number of maps of a 7-week season in a 5-week season. It should be noted that we shall be continuing this double map structure going into season 3. The question really stems from the idea of trying to diversify the map pool for the upcoming season. If we want to be able to include eight maps in the season, we can introduce a double stopwatch match (two payloads in one match). Like the rest of the details in this post, please leave your feedback regarding your opinion on this.

• The regular season will feature a week for double KotH maps again if Invite only fields 6 teams.

Regular Season

• The regular season for Invite will have a fee for all players participating. The flat amount will likely not be anything too ridiculous in terms of per person.
  • We will push for an 8-team Invite again for Season 3. If we do hit 8 teams, there will be payouts to all teams participating in Invite.
  • We are looking into waiving fees for winning Advanced teams.

Playoffs

• Double-elimination Swiss bracket - top 6 teams
  • Lower bracket matches will all be played on Monday

Review of RGL HL Divisions

These are my current thoughts and is a review of some issues with our Advanced and Main divisions.

Review: Advanced

• Advanced is not maintaining rosters to move up into Invite

Advanced is a division that had the intended goal of being a stepping division to help players gain the experience and skills necessary to play and compete in Invite. That was the purpose of the division since the start of the league. Back in Season 1, we saw glimpses of that occurring with the top Advanced teams having the skills capable of competing in Invite the immediately following season. Unfortunately, all three of the placing Advanced teams of Season 1 did not return, and although we saw the rise of Space Force, it was merely a mix/merge of the Advanced teams into a single roster. The question stems from the concept of being able to foster a move-up roster from one division to the next, while keeping its core players to be able to effectively compete in the said division. This is also a question that continues to be asked going into Season 3, as it does not look very likely that there will be any returning placing Advanced teams going into the Invite division.

• Advanced has a problematic issue of being a haven for higher experienced players to offclass or participate within that division

Advanced, as a division, is considered the 2nd best division. As such, it becomes a place where players want to off class or toe with the division guidelines by main classing (even if they would compete fine in Invite). The essential issue that arises from this cultural perspective of not wanting to “try” or “improve” in the higher division leads to stagnation and a weaker Invite division. This consequently leads to a smaller Invite (has been six teams for two seasons straight), because the division has not been able to properly maintain more than six teams in a single season. During the preseason of Season 2, our goal was to aim for 8 teams in the Invite division. We failed to secure this number, with IRENE disbanding as well as the numerous Advanced rosters that we asked or forced up to Invite (if they were above the division guidelines for Advanced) flaking out. It seemed clear that all the current S2 Advanced teams had zero intention of playing in Invite either to improve or keep the division alive, even in the case that we would be forced to remove Invite entirely if the intended structure did not work.

• Advanced as a division is failing to secure the number of teams necessary to maintain a round robin structure

In two consecutive seasons, Advanced has dropped a team in the beginning of the season, leading to one or two bye-weeks for the rest of the season. This consequently leads to an unengaging week for the teams that have the bye-week, because it is essentially a week with no match (teams even opting to not scrim at all). It is not a conducive environment where the point of the league is to participate in matches and have engagement with the rest of the teams and players each week during the regular season. This leads to the question of the viability of a round-robin format in the division, with the question of a swiss structure being an option.

Review: Main

• There is too much overlap in the division guidelines between Advanced and Main

The two divisions have shared similar guidelines since their creation. A player that is considered “High-Silver” would be able to compete in both divisions as their main class, because of how closely skilled the top Main and Advanced teams are. This brings up the issue where you often have many Advanced players that can roster and play in Main, without any approval. This also leads to the topic addressed above, where Main becomes another haven for higher experienced players to off class or participate in the division, because of how similar the division guidelines are. When the top 6-8 Main teams are readily able to compete with all 8 Advanced teams, it begs the question of why the two divisions are separated in the first place.

What can be done to address this?

Option 1:

• Advanced and Main can be merged into one division
  • Division guidelines for both divisions can be consolidated into one. It can be updated to: Skill range of UGC Mid-High Silver to ESEA Open, High-IM.
  • The division can have a split playoff structure. #1-8 and #9-16 will be entered separate playoff brackets.

Option 2:

• Decrease the size of Advanced to six teams
  • Restrict all Invite players and players from Top 5 Advanced teams from rostering on Main teams
  • Be stricter of teams in Main that continue to toe division guidelines by moving them up to Advanced

As such, the plan is to merge the two divisions is to do the following:

• Remove the very large overlap between the two divisions
  • Create a bigger incentive for teams that win in these divisions to move-up
  • Reduce the number of players that try to toe the division guidelines in Main

All Divisions Structure

Note: Maps are subject to be changed or added based off feedback from the Experimental HL Cup #2. We will gauge community feedback to help decide the remaining maps. It should be noted that we have plans to swap Borneo with a different stopwatch map for Season 3.

Map pool

• koth_product_rc9
  • pl_upward
  • cp_steel

Regular Season

Invite, Advanced, and Main will feature a round-robin format.

• We are looking to split Main into two separate divisions e.g. Main Red and Main Blue. These two divisions will be the same in skill level. The top 4 teams from each Main division will combine and play together in the playoffs in a single-elimination Swiss bracket.
  • Only the Open and Intermediate divisions will feature a Swiss system with no division sizes.

Playoffs

• Invite - See above for Invite playoff structure
  • Advanced - single-gauntlet structure - top 5 teams
  • Main - single-elimination Swiss bracket - top 4 teams combined from Main Red and Main Blue
  • Intermediate - single-elimination Swiss bracket - top 8 teams
  • Open division - single-elimination Swiss bracket - top 8 teams

Other Changes

Registration Restrictions

Alluded earlier with the RGL HL S1 Playoff Article, the concept of enforcing division guidelines in a prompt manner is something that we wanted to work on improving for future seasons. No one wants to play with sandbagging players in lower divisions. We understand this. It simply ruins the integrity and competitive nature of newer and lower division players trying to play with players around their skill level to improve.

Starting now in Season 3:

• There will be functionality added that will allow us to add "minimums" to player accounts, so they cannot use the site to register lower than what we tell them.
  • This has the added benefit of ensuring that players that win a division do not stay in the same division, and instead are moved up to the next. This feature has already been rolled out and will be used for the upcoming season.

Log Parsing, Medals, and Roster Sizes

The issue of roster riders and roster sizes is something that we have tried to address since day 1 of this league. We have messed around with the team sizes, with shrinking them to 12 at the start of the preseason and increasing it to 18 during the season to maximize the number of teams we can create during the preseason. The concept of "roster riders" is something that will inevitably continue to exist if there is enough roster space. Something that RGL plans to implement in the feature is log parsing. This would do the following:

• Allow us to see how many matches a player has played for a team, which could be updated on the team or player profile
  • Allow us to give medals to only players that have played a match for the team
  • Incentivize teams to use their subs during matches rather than ringing a player

Match Points Recalculation

Loser Points would now be calculated off a max of "1" point. This team would also get a percentage of that based on the number of points they scored against the max rounds.

For KotH, this will be:

Scores - New Values - Old Values
4/3      ---     2/1           ----  1.7/1.3
4/2      ---     2.3 / .7     ----  2/1
4/1      ---     2.7 / .3     ----  2.4/.6
Real quick I'd like to note that we can only act on the feedback we receive. If your teammate talks about how they hated the playoff structure, or they think a division should be reworked, send them here. If we don't get your feedback, it's hard to know what to improve or modify about the league.
So, with that being said, spread this around, and share it with your teammates, and have your team leaders collect and post feedback!
Dad
RGL Open Highlander Admin and RGL 6's Admin 
The Godfather#7716
Something that I forgot to include in the post was the revamped match point system for RGL.

Loser Points would now be calculated off a max of "1" point. This team would also get a percentage of that based on the number of points they scored against the max rounds.

For KotH, this will be:

4/3      ---     2/1         ----  1.7/1.3
4/2      ---     2.3 / .7   ----  2/1
4/1      ---     2.7 / .3   ----  2.4/.6
(03-29-2019, 06:28 PM)exa_ | hl.rgl.gg Wrote: Regular Season

On Invite:
  • The regular season for Invite will have a flat fee for all the teams participating.
We will push for an 8-team Invite again for Season 3. If we do hit 8 teams, there will be payouts to all teams participating in Invite

On Main/Advanced:

Option 1:

• Advanced and Main can be merged into one division[/font][/font][/size]
  • Division guidelines for both divisions can be consolidated into one. It can be updated to: Skill range of UGC Mid-High Silver to ESEA Open, High-IM.
  • The division can have a split playoff structure. #1-8 and #9-16 will be entered separate playoff brackets.
Option 2:

• Decrease the size of Advanced to six teams
  • Restrict all Invite players and players from Top 5 Advanced teams from rostering on Main teams
  • Be stricter of teams in Main that continue to toe division guidelines by moving them up to Advanced
On sandbagging:
  • There will be functionality added that will allow us to add "minimums" to player accounts, so they cannot use the site to register lower than what we tell them.
  • This has the added benefit of ensuring that players that win a division do not stay in the same division, and instead are moved up to the next. This feature has already been rolled out and will be used for the upcoming season.
On roster riding:

The issue of roster riders and roster sizes is something that we have tried to address since day 1 of this league. We have messed around with the team sizes, with shrinking them to 12 at the start of the preseason and increasing it to 18 during the season to maximize the number of teams we can create during the preseason. The concept of "roster riders" is something that will inevitably continue to exist if there is enough roster space. Something that RGL plans to implement in the feature is log parsing. This would do the following:

• Allow us to see how many matches a player has played for a team, which could be updated on the team or player profile
  • Allow us to give medals to only players that have played a match for the team
  • Incentivize teams to use their subs during matches rather than ringing a player

For Invite: I think this is a great idea. Incentivize advanced players to play advanced by giving the winning teams a waived fee, while also urging them to stick together and move up to invite for the money. It also keeps sandbaggers out of advanced because they want to move into invite for money. Brilliant

Option #1: I don't think this is the way to go. Eventually it will become the same as UGC, with the main/advanced hybrid being the new UGC Silver, just filled with a mish mosh of teams that have wildly different skill levels.

Option #2: Now this is an option I can get behind. Decreasing the number of advanced teams should make it feel more exclusive to the teams that want to go into invite, while also hopefully making advanced more competitive as a whole. Restriction the players from top 5 advanced and invite from rostering in main is super smart. For the third bullet it shouldn't be too much of an issue anymore due to the 2nd bullet. (An example being ItsyAcore playing in main. He easily could have contested advanced snipers.)

My only concern with the second bullet is: What if a team that won a division does not stay together, but those players do not get picked up in the next division. Are they forced to sub/sit out for a season? Or rebuild a team from scratch with even lower odds of it working?

On roster riding: I am very much in favor of this. I was getting pretty pissed off at pepito for trying to shit on r4bbit for roster riding IRENE for a month during S1.

I did a lot of editing and moving around so if anything is like out of order/confusing let me know

(03-29-2019, 07:51 PM)exa_ | hl.rgl.gg Wrote: Something that I forgot to include in the post was the revamped match point system for RGL.

Loser Points would now be calculated off of a max of "1" point. This team would also get a percentage of that based on the number of points they scored against the max rounds.

For KotH, this will be:

4/3      ---     2/1           ----  1.7/1.3
4/2      ---     2.3 / .7     ----  2/1
4/1      ---     2.7 / .3     ----  2.4/.6
This is good. Several people were annoyed at how a team with a good W/L ratio wouldn't make playoffs, while a team with a worse W/L ratio and more matchpoints would.
Shoutout to flankyyy, drag, kett, and all the OG Amicitia members
correct me if I'm wrong but I am pretty sure this is the third season of rgl highlander
toes
(03-29-2019, 09:57 PM)Luigi Wrote: correct me if I'm wrong but I am pretty sure this is the third season of rgl highlander
You are not wrong mr luigi.
2nd class Chinese legend who doesn't know when to quit.
(03-29-2019, 10:08 PM)Hino Wrote:
(03-29-2019, 09:57 PM)Luigi Wrote: correct me if I'm wrong but I am pretty sure this is the third season of rgl highlander
You are not wrong mr luigi.

oh thank god
toes
-remove product for this season
-double koth is fine, could also be used to do a split koth/5cp week a la etf2l to get 5cp played in a more tolerable fashion. the majority of people i talk to are fine or even want a week of 5cp every season, and maybe my group of friends aren't representative but i'm beginning to believe the people who are against 5cp with a flaming passion are a vocal minority
-double payload is not fine, every match between two teams have different enough dynamics that starting side is very important and the only way to let the match be even is either by doing a bo2 and adding ties (bleh) or making it 2 bo3s and a potential for 6 rounds (double bleh)
-waiving adv winners invite fees is a very good idea
-remove product for this season its been played since ugc s7 which means its played for 20 straight seeasons of hl
-making adv smaller is also a good idea. i don't know how involved the admins are with team leaders but i'd imagine adv would want to have a lot of leader-admin interaction and teams that look unstable should be given reduced priority into getting into those divisions. the only issue with this is that if you make adv smaller, the bottom adv teams get shoved into main (which isn't a problem on its own) but if players from the 4th/5th adv teams can't get picked up on one of the (now more) exclusive adv teams, they'd have to be allowed in main

-i'm beginning to think there should be some kind of penalty levied on adv players/teams that remain in the division for too long. it'd be really hard to implement effectively because you risk locking players out of playing but something along the lines of placing in adv 2 seasons in a row should bar you from the division for a season. admin discretion exists to allow those players who make an honest to effort to join/make an invite team but still fail to play, but that should be the exception, not the norm. the flow proved last season that even if you're not pulling wins you're still doing decently well in scrims and improving a ton over the season, and if your ego is too fragile to get rolled for a season then that sucks, but you're quite literally a cancer to the league at that point and refusing to exist in a symbiosis with the league is your choice. reduced fees for rising adv players other than 1st might help with that, as well.

-remove product for this season its not a good map, there's a very large number of invite players who want the map to rest because its awful for 5+/9 classes in the game and simplifies team skill to whoever has a better sniper/demo and individual skill to whoever makes less mistakes (rather than actually making active plays, because the map punishes anyone who tries to leave pocket)
product -> cascade
(03-29-2019, 08:34 PM)Micahlele Wrote:
(03-29-2019, 06:28 PM)exa_ | hl.rgl.gg Wrote: On sandbagging:

My only concern with the second bullet is: What if a team that won a division does not stay together, but those players do not get picked up in the next division. Are they forced to sub/sit out for a season? Or rebuild a team from scratch with even lower odds of it working?

They are not forced to sub/sit out for a season. I will quote the move-up rule that we have for all divisions:

Quote:Move-Ups

Carried from Prolander, if a team wins a division, they will be granted a move-up to the next division. If the roster decides to not form in the next division, then the winners are restricted from reforming together in the division that they have just won. However, individually, the starting players (mains) can still play in the same division. E.g. A team wins advanced, but its players can still play in advanced if they are on different teams.
(03-30-2019, 02:58 PM)nyxi Wrote: product -> cascade