• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Proposed sniper changes
i haven’t played hl at the highest levels, nor have I played hl for that long, but i’ve been double airshot headshot by kev and yosh one too many times and thought of potential sniper changes that attempt to turn him from super op to more thinking required. Tell me what you think.

-Make it take longer to scope in and out 
-Decrease the damage unscoped shots and instantly scope shots do to 40 (100), but increase the max dmg to 175 (525)
- increase the amount of time it takes to fully charge a shot
- (maybe) further decrease snipers movement speed while scoped

Idk the exact numbers besides the dmg and ik 40*3 isn’t 100 but it’s the same dmg as a pipe and 33 dmg shots is an weird number.

I feel like this will make snipers shots more valuable, making baiting out a shot worth your time. It also makes the sniper commit more to a shot as it takes longer to charge and scope in. Quick shotting your medic isn’t rlly possible since it does only 100 dmg, but on the flip side if you do fully charge a shot you can one shot a pyro/demo that are not buffed. I think the most important change would be changing the scope in/out time so the sniper can’t unscope and start flexing his tier 6 surf map skills or instantly quick shot you.

Off topic but a change to product, extend the fence on China to house and remove China and Japan sightlines. Also make the rock a block that’s too high for a sniper to peak over but still viable for heavy (so that he can at least easily see bombers)
Just don't peek Lol.
Shaayy is wrong
I will always be a pyro main <3
Adding to the original post I think if you did have these changes you can adjust the other sniper rifles to work around the nerfs, like the hitmans heatmaker can have the normal scope in and out, but has further decreased dmg or movement speed.
(04-02-2019, 11:55 AM)mono Wrote: -Make it take longer to scope in and out 
Scope time/time between shots was nerfed a couple times, this one below was the most noticeable for snipers since they had to get used to a new delay. But a lot of these early nerfs were sort of needed.
"February 14, 2008 Patch
Added a small delay (200 ms) before a zoomed Sniper shot can get a critical hit."

(04-02-2019, 11:55 AM)mono Wrote: - (maybe) further decrease snipers movement speed while scoped
This one could work

(04-02-2019, 11:55 AM)mono Wrote: -Decrease the damage unscoped shots and instantly scope shots do to 40 (100), but increase the max dmg to 175 (525)
can float the idea of unscoped shots but i don't agree with quick scopes being nerfed. I feel like that's a level of skill that shouldn't be nerfed. at most the delay could be increased by a few ms again, but it feels like you're nerfing mechanical skill.

(04-02-2019, 11:55 AM)mono Wrote: Off topic but a change to product, extend the fence on China to house and remove China and Japan sightlines. Also make the rock a block that’s too high for a sniper to peak over but still viable for heavy (so that he can at least easily see bombers)
This one is reasonable
(04-02-2019, 12:16 PM)Aad | hl.rgl.gg Wrote:
(04-02-2019, 11:55 AM)mono Wrote: -Make it take longer to scope in and out 
Scope time/time between shots was nerfed a couple times, this one below was the most noticeable for snipers since they had to get used to a new delay. But a lot of these early nerfs were sort of needed.
"February 14, 2008 Patch
Added a small delay (200 ms) before a zoomed Sniper shot can get a critical hit

(04-02-2019, 11:55 AM)mono Wrote: -Decrease the damage unscoped shots and instantly scope shots do to 40 (100), but increase the max dmg to 175 (525)
can float the idea of unscoped shots but i don't agree with quick scopes being nerfed. I feel like that's a level of skill that shouldn't be nerfed. at most the delay could be increased by a few ms again, but it feels like you're nerfing mechanical skill.

The sniper scope in and out time don’t need to be equal, also that was 2008 with regards to the crit. I don’t know if I was unclear in my post but I deadass mean half a second of being literally useless then a long enough zoom out time that it’s irrelevant of how loudly someone screams there is a spy on our sniper that he dies. 

Also for the damage it depends on do you think a class should have this kind of impact. It’s very mechanical to double pump a heavy standing on rock as sniper, but is sniper a fast pick class or a slow one? Being able to kill some1 on the other side of the universe is pretty powerful, but it took thanos all the infinity stones to do so. Sniper just does it and can instantly go for another potential med dropping shot. Idk your gonna hit one of those 50 shots
Bruh most snipers literally just stand still or wobble around when completely scoped in wtf is the point in decreasing the movement speed when scoped in do to nerf Him
just dodge lol
What about damage fall-off? That is, the further away you shoot, the less damage you do.
KANE
just dodge lol

edit: this seems like a post that would come out of alto, no matter how much thinking that would be required to play sniper people would still complain that the class is too op (in hl)
(04-02-2019, 01:29 PM)firepow Wrote: What about damage fall-off? That is, the further away you shoot, the less damage you do.

because fuck positioning, just run at them, right?
(04-02-2019, 01:38 PM)michael Wrote:
(04-02-2019, 01:29 PM)firepow Wrote: What about damage fall-off? That is, the further away you shoot, the less damage you do.

because fuck positioning, just run at them, right?

That was dumb of me.
KANE
Just dont get hit 4Head
just dont play product 4hed
Florida #1
make the sniper rifle a projectile like in fortnite
Apologies for potentially derailing this thread, but I do wonder how an 8v8 no sniper pilot league would be. :thinking:
i'd play this league
(04-02-2019, 03:17 PM)exa_ | hl.rgl.gg Wrote: Apologies for potentially derailing this thread, but I do wonder how an 8v8 no sniper pilot league would be. :thinking:

i've wanted this for a long time
asher#0112
(04-02-2019, 03:17 PM)exa_ | hl.rgl.gg Wrote: Apologies for potentially derailing this thread, but I do wonder how an 8v8 no sniper pilot league would be. :thinking:

stop stealing my ideas or I will reveal all of your dirty rgl back room deals

i really dont like any of the classes, how about a 0v0 league?
ok and