• 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
thoughts on cars 2
I need everyone’s opinion on this movie.

Here is a bit of background on cars 2: “Cars 2 is a 2011 American computer-animated action-adventure comedy film produced by Pixar Animation Studios for Walt Disney Pictures. It is the sequel to 2006's Cars, and features the voices of Owen Wilson, Larry the Cable Guy, Michael Caine, Emily Mortimer, John Turturro, and Eddie Izzard. In the film, race car Lightning McQueen and tow truck Mater head to Japan and Europe to compete in the World Grand Prix, but Mater becomes sidetracked with international espionage. The film was directed by John Lasseter, written by Ben Queen, and produced by Denise Ream. With Lasseter's exit from Pixar in 2018, it marks the final film directed by him.” -Wikipedia

Now, if you haven’t watched the original cars, I highly recommend you should. However, to keep everyone up to speed, here’s a small synopsis of the original cars movie, from 2006

While traveling to California to race against The King (Richard Petty) and Chick Hicks (Michael Keaton) for the Piston Cup Championship, Lightning McQueen (Owen Wilson) becomes lost after falling out of his trailer in a run down town called Radiator Springs. While there he slowly befriends the town's odd residents, including Sally (Bonnie Hunt), Doc Hudson (Paul Newman) and Mater (Larry the Cable Guy). When it comes time for him to leave to championship is no longer his top priority.

And here is cars 2:

Racecar Lightning McQueen (Owen Wilson) and his tow-truck buddy, Mater (Larry the Cable Guy), have had their share of adventures together but nothing like what they experience when they head overseas for the first-ever World Grand Prix. While Lightning has his eye on the road to the championship, Mater takes a detour to international espionage when he meets British master spy Finn McMissile (Michael Caine) and stunning spy-in-training Holley Shiftwell (Emily Mortimer).

Now, allow me to explain somethings. Pixar Animation Studios (the studio that made Cars and Cars 2) had a reputation at the time for being incredibly good at animation, and being consistent as well. Movies such as Toy Story (1995), Finding Nemo (2003), or The Incredibles (2004) are all beloved children’s movies for young adults- they give nostalgia and have stood the test of time. However, Cars was the first movie that Pixar made a mistake. Now, the original Cars is deserving of it's own thread, but it was seen as a slight misstep in the Pixar universe. It isn’t bad by any right, but Pixar made a movie that wasn’t up to their incredibly high standards.

But there is no excuse (no excuse.) for Cars 2.
This movie is horrible. It’s awful. It makes me physically shake in rage. I can hardly type now, my hands are trembling. If there are any more typos, you all know why.

So Cars 2. Instead of using Lightning McQueen (who I will simply refer to as ‘Lightning’ for the remainder of this) as your main character, you use Mater. We spent a whole movie beginning to like Lightning. He had grown past his character flaws and began a new path to greatness.
SO WHY THE FUCK. WOULD WE CARE. ABOUT HIS DUMBASS FRIEND.

I really had to listen to Larry The Cable Guy for a full 106 minutes. THIS IS ONE HUNDRED AND SIX MINUTES LONG. And not only that, the plot is about Mater being a spy.

Now, the original cars is about driving. Cars drive. That makes sense. Cars are not spies. Humans are spies.
So tell me, dear reader- why. The. fuck. Are. they. CARS.
If this movie was made with humans, it would be the same. Thing. What is the point of visual storytelling if it doesn’t matter. I imagine it a lot like movies like Illumination Animation’s 2016’s movie Sing (another animated movie i cannot stand). Why does it matter that they’re cars.
The answer is it doesn’t.
Cars 2 does not focus on the main characters that Cars 1 presents and changes. Instead, I have to listen to Mater, who has remained as 1 dimensional since the very beginning of Cars. He’s the dumb friend who is sensitive and likes Lightning.
Lightning, on the other hand, has gone through his emotional journey. He started out as the arrogant upstart who learned to enjoy the simpler things in life, and really begin to become a good character to be liked by the audience. I remember watching Cars and thinking “Why am i supposed to root for this guy? He’s just a dick” but by the end, he had changed and so had I.
Now, if you don't want to change with Lightnings character, that’s fine. I get it. The story was told, Pixar. So then why make this movie? If you didnt want to use Lightning as the “main” focus, why not use Doc? The real answer is more sad- Doc’s voice actor, Paul Newman, had died in 2008 (Rest in peace Paul Newman). So why not just leave the character (and franchise) to rest?

I’m sorry, I have to return to how awful of a character Mater is. His voice is annoying and uninteresting, and I think the “dumb best friend” character doesn’t work when you want to make a movie around him. This is why everyone clowns on sequels, by the way. Because all sequels are filled with garbage like this. Why would I care? Not to mention this movie’s entire plot hinges on Mater being stupid. Oh wait, I’m getting ahead of myself.
The plot.

The plot, like Mater, is boring and uninteresting. Probably because Mater is the main character, but even then, I dislike the focus of the spy theme and mystery. The plot gets increasingly hard to follow when you remember that Tow Mater is the main character, and we all can’t stand him because of his annoying voice and annoying character. It’s like the people at Pixar watched Kung Fu Panda and wanted to make a shittier version.

Now, John Lasseter (the director of the film, and many other Pixar films) denies the idea that Walt Disney (the company who owned Pixar) pushed for the movie to be made for a money-grab. It seems like it may have been, as the movie did gross 562.1 million dollars. It was the 7th most successful Pixar film, out of the 14 released at the time. However, was it worth the dent in Pixar’s reputation? Were the bad reviews worth it? Was it worth it to besmirch the memory of Newman?

I hope it was worth it, Pixar and Disney. You ruined the name of Pixar, of Newman, of everyone involved. And more importantly, you disappointed the fans of all of your work. I stuck up for you, Pixar. And look at you now. Turning your back on the fans for a shitty movie about Mater.

I would like your opinoin on this movie. After rain smited my last comment on the invite thread, I must go down to “Off-Topic” to spread my thoughts.

Hino Yesterday at 6:58 PM
fuck mater
Berryy Yesterday at 6:58 PM
fuck mater
I hate that brown truck
Perenne Yesterday at 6:58 PM
yo FUCK mater

I’m feeling a light to decent 2 on this thing.

source(s):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cars_2
plug walk
i'm dying of laughter guys this is so funny!!!
pootis
God I hate Mater.
2nd class Chinese legend who doesn't know when to quit.
(04-11-2019, 08:19 PM)Hino Yesterday at 6:58 PM Wrote: fuck mater
Berryy Yesterday at 6:58 PM
fuck mater
I hate that brown truck
Perenne Yesterday at 6:58 PM
yo FUCK mater
yo wtf u calling out Mater cos hes BROWN.
brown things can be cool...
Dog is my supplier, talk to him if you want the stuff
I will argue this point
yeah ok even the shitposts here now are just alto essays
I'm gonna be hocarge!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2nd class Chinese legend who doesn't know when to quit.
i wanna put myself in lightning mcqueen's exhaust pipe
hi =)